Monday, August 2, 2010

Tool #6

So I think I like the whole Wiki thing. I definitely think I like it as a class website for me to communicate with parents and add some extras. Since I HATE the district teacher website option...I think a Wiki would be great. I was mostly searching for Kindergarten classes that used wikis for learning...the closest I got was 1st grade. The class created a story map for a story and then others were able to edit and revise the text. I really liked how it can show students how far their ideas for writing can go. I think it went a little far on the wiki I viewed because I can't imagine that the kids were able to stay with the story for as long as it had been added to. Too much text. But, maybe you could use it and have your teammates or other classes in the district help construct the story. I aslo thought it would be neat to use as a KWL. The class could start the wiki with what they know about a topic to be studied and then as they learn...it can be updated and changed.

My biggest concern is how do I remember to use this in the classroom and how do I make sure to give it the attention it will need in order to be effective. I already feel as though I'm trying to keep my head above water...will this drag me under deeper? I realize most people have hand-held devices that allow them to access all of these "new technologies"...but I can't afford to pay for the phone and the monthly usage. How will our district help educators to be able to afford the things that are required in order to have a life outside of school (without staying up to god-awful hours of the night)?

No comments:

Post a Comment